Friday, April 24, 2009

Proud Momma!


Ok, so I know the last posting of Chandler singing about diarrhea probably didn't shine forth the true gifting of my Chan man. He is actually quite talented in so many different ways....and I am really so very proud! This week, he is in Washington DC on a school trip. They have packed full days...going to all the memorials, museums, the White House, the Supreme Court, then heading to Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, etc. etc. When I talked to him today, he said he was pretty tired, but it was very worth it. Only 50 students out of the 7th and 8th grade are allowed to go on this trip. To be fair, the system is....that their names are picked with a lottery system. They choose numbers 1 - 50, and then everybody after goes on the waiting list. Once your number is drawn..you have to maintain a 3.5 gpa, and have NO conduct marks whatsoever. If you either go below on a 3.5, or get a conduct mark... you are out!! This really is a great way to ensure it will be a manageable group of kids going on such an expansive trip. To be perfectly honest, I was kind of hoping Chandler's name would not get drawn. It's fairly expensive...but it's worth it if money isn't an issue with you. So when his name, and his close friend's name were drawn, I told him he HAD to help raise this money for him to be able to go. We did a little bit of research to figure out what might be the best way to go about this....and we decided on candy bars. We ordered candy bars from World's Finest Chocolate...and he got to selling. He has sold candy bars virtually every single day since before Christmas. He earned almost the entire amount of money he had to have. He flew out on Wednesday morning...EARLY...and has been going ever since. When I talked to him last, they were in Williamsburg on their way to see a glass blower. I asked him if it was worth all the days of toting a box of candy bars around...and he said YES!! I am just bubbling over with pride for him. He's not perfect, so I don't want you to think I'm one of THOSE parents. But he is a great kid...he's worked hard...and he's now getting to see the fruit of his labor. What a great lesson he's learned....and what a great prize he's rewarded himself with!! I can't wait to see all the pictures he has taken....and I'll try to post a few when he gets home with them!!

0 comments: