Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Back to the land of the living.

Well, back to school season, for the most part is over. It's really quite a roller coaster of emotions in this business. I'm sure it's like most retailers Christmas, except for we only have about a month or so to celebrate. It's been an exhausting couple of weeks, but we made it through, and we have all survived. I had so many concerns about Jillian up at the store, etc., but it all worked out. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite as crazy as I would have liked it to have been, but I expected it to be a tad slower. I'm hoping we still have a couple of 'last hoorah's' before the month ends, but I think we are in fair shape even if we don't.

The kids all started school today. I think they were all pretty excited about it. They all like their teacher's and schedules. Chandler has 6 classes with one of his closest friends, so I couldn't ask for anything more with him!! Madison has one of her close friends in her class...a little girl from a wonderful Godly family. I have been praying so earnestly for her to develop Godly friends, and I think He is answering that prayer. And Collin is just so easy to please for the most part....he's almost always happy. He did come home talking about a new little boy who he really thought could be his friend....so that was good. It seemed as if he was reaching out to "the new kid". I am praying that they all have a great year with their education, but also with their friends. Chandler is in 7th grade now, and peer pressure is just unbelieveable at 12. I have been praying for a hedge of protection around Chandler's mind. For the Lord to somehow, someway, continue to help Chandler make wise decisions. If you don't have a child in middle school, it's truly unbelieveable the choices children this age are making. Disgusting really. Heartbreaking. So far, I have no warning signs to make me nervous...we are still in the fairy tale stage I suppose. I'm looking and watching though. I refuse to be a parent who ignores warning signs.

Jillian didn't seem to miss them too much. We were too busy really. She had speech therapy, which by the way, isn't going as well as I would have liked. I think we may up it to twice a week. I'm just not impressed whatsoever with her speech progress. We are seeing progress in other areas, like her eating. She is totally off baby food, and doesn't spit out her real food when she gets tired of chewing it. You just can't imagine what a blessing that is!! Or maybe you can.... Nevertheless, her speech just isn't improving like I feel like it should. Our therapist made a few notes about my concerns, and we'll reevaluate in a couple of weeks or so.

And then there is the Olympics. It's absolutely fascinating to be watching the Olympics and know we have been there. We drove past the bird's nest several times. We saw the water cube. We walked on the Great Wall. It's so surreal. I was blessed to also be able to travel to Barcelona in 1992, and visit the Olympic village then as well. I don't remember watching the 1992 Olympics near like I have this one. Maybe I was too busy in school, trying to graduate. Hubby was graduating, and I was about to, and it was a crazy time....but it is interesting to me that I, who have not traveled the world over, have been able to see 2 places of the Olympics during the time of those Olympics. Just kind of neat to me.

So there is a mish mash of my life these days. We're all good. We're all tired. But we are definitely all good.

0 comments: