Friday, August 22, 2008

Still going good.


I promise as soon as my computer is up and going, I will download some updated pictures, but hubby's computer doesn't have the compatible software for me to do it. For now, you'll have to just bear with my ramblings. School is still going amazingly well. Madison has been in tutoring since about mid July to prepare her for her last year in elementary school. I just decided it was an absolute necessity before she steps foot into that middle school next year. I have such high expectations because of it, and I can really tell a difference in Madison's enthusiasm about school. Last year, and the year before really, she was finding every excuse to not go to school. Now, on a Friday night, she's looking forward to her tutoring tomorrow. I am assuming she is figuring out that she can actually figure out problems, and she kind of likes it. At least, I hope that's what it is.

Just to give you a little background about our situations generally with Chandler.....in our town there are pretty much 3 groups of kids....the preps/jocks...the nerds...or the emo's. It's so awful, that at 11 years old, these kids group themselves...and exclude others that aren't just right. FYI, emo's are generally kids who are "in touch with their emotions"...and usually dress in dark, tight clothes, and are depressed. It may not be like that everywhere, but that's how it is here. There are almost no just regular kids. This has definitely been a struggle for Chandler. He's neither a nerd, jock, or emo. He's just a normal kid. He's had his church friends....Chase and Ethan mainly, but not many kids at school. He's had a few that there were potential for, but none really just clicked. This one friend that he now has in 6 classes is one of the few normal friends he has. And finally, after 8 years of school together, they have clicked! So far, they have spent several afternoons together, and he's actually staying over there tonight. I could not be more excited for him!!! I am a firm believer that if these kids at this age can find that one friend, or group of friends to get through these akward years together, it will help them stay out of trouble. Of course, if they are the right kid.

Collin is still doing great! He's got several boys in his class that he really likes, so time will tell who his close friend becomes. His best friend still lives about 30 minutes away, which really bums him out, but they see each other every weekend at church.

I think last post I said that Jillian didn't miss the kids too much....well I was right when I said we were too busy. The next day, she walked around the house from room to room calling out for Chandler. It was pitiful. So, when Maddie and Collin get off the bus...she literally runs to go meet them. It is so sweet. I'm going to try to film it this week before it becomes too routine.

Well, I'm off to clean the kitchen for now. I hope everyone has a great weekend!!

0 comments: