Thursday, November 27, 2008

The George Ranch


Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I have so very much to be thankful for...I am truly blessed in so many areas of my life. I not only posted this Norman Rockwell painting because of Thanksgiving, but because it reminds me so much of some of what we saw yesterday. Yesterday, we went to a place called the George Ranch. It is one of my favorite places ever. Usually, when we get together at my brother and sister in laws house...they always have all kinds of fun things planned. This time is no different....but I did have a request to go back to the George Ranch. We went years ago when Collin was about 1, and my niece Charlotte was about 6 months old...and it was in the middle of the summer...and steaming hot. Chandler and Madison thoroughly enjoyed it...but we wanted to go back for the little kids...and really, truth be told...for me again. It's a working ranch between Pearland and Lake Jackson, Texas. It's a place...where they have recreated history...and are living it. It's a series of dwellings, houses, homes....and farm land that dates from the 1830's all the way to the 1930's. The first house you go to, is the 2 room pioneer house from the 1830's. There are people in there dressed from the time, working as if they are living in the time, and explaining to you every single thing they are doing. Then you leave there, and go to the 1860's house....then from there you go to the house that was built in the 1890's. That was an amazing elaborate, beautiful, Victorian style mansion. It was really amazing the transition from the 1830's to the 1890's...and then lastly you go to the 1930's house. That is the one that reminded me so much of the Norman Rockwell painting. They have preserved almost every detail of the last 2 houses....even Mrs. George's clothes were hanging in her closet in the 1930's house. Her brush was on her vanity...their stationery was on the desk....the rug that she made was on the floor. It was absolutely fascinating for a history buff like me. They were wealthy people...but lived relatively modestly, especially after the 1890's house....and they were generous. It was just really awe inspiring.... I am thankful we went back, and I'm thankful we went back this time of year. It was just perfect. I'll try to post some pics later....but until then....think of all that you have to be thankful for....and Praise the Lord for it!

0 comments: