Friday, October 3, 2008

Romania.


I felt the call to adopt probably still when I was about 11 or 12. Of course I didn't know then it was a call at the time. In fact, I probably didn't even know what a call was!! I just saw all the stories on tv about the plight of Romanian orphans, and my heart broke. From that time on....through the years of Nadia Comaneci, I wanted to grow up, and adopt. As the years went on, Romania put a halt to all international adoptions for who knows what reason. I was so upset at first when I heard that, because I was so sure for so long that I would adopt a baby/child from Romania. What now? And why on God's green earth would they do that, when SO many children are suffering?? I still have no answer for that.....I guess it goes back to that eight letter word that I hate so much....politics. Anyway, for me, in the adoption realm, my mind turned to the Eastern European countries....like Russia, etc. As many of you know, when we started the adoption paperwork, our original application was for the Ukraine. It was only once our application had been received that every single door was slammed in our face as we tried to proceed. We know now, that the Lord had called us to Jillian, and through an often confusing, and extremely long road, He brought us together. I am still in awe at what a perfect match we are for each other. She truly was meant to be in this family. But even through that amazing journey, that I wouldn't change for anything, my heart never left Romania. I always stare at the Romanian gymnasts during the Olympics and wonder what their life must be like. I'm sure most of you don't know...and probably don't care too much....but it's an unbelieveably hard, corrupt road in Romania. Full of poverty, and everything that comes along with it. All that to say, this last Sunday, we had a missionary from Romania come to our church. I truthfully didn't even know our church supported a missionary in Romania. His stories were awe inspiring! The Lord is doing such an amazing work through him in the rural lands of Romania. Sadly though, I learned that the conditions and plight of Romanian orphans is still just awful. In fact, just googling images of Romania brought up some of the most horrendous images I have seen recently in terms of orphanage conditions. I am literally sitting here distraught at the thought of what these children go through for their entire life. Very commonly, in Romania, as well as the Ukraine, when a child turns 18, they are no longer fit for state care. They are turned out to the streets and often become the worst of the worst...and you can only imagine what that would be. They have learned no skill, no trade, nothing to help them survive. So this missionary that came to our church builds group homes for these teenagers and teaches them skills that they can use to get a job. I've know for so long that my heart was in Romania for who knows what reason...but I want to go there. I so desperately would LOVE to do some mission work there. I truly feel like it's not even a want anymore, but a need. I know not everyone has a heart for the orphans....just like not everybody has a heart for the elderly, or a prison ministry. But if you are reading this, because maybe you started to follow our journey to get our precious daughter...please say a prayer tonight...not just for Romanian orphans, and Chinese orphans, but for all over. Even for the ones that live in the "bad part of town" here in the USA, and have to go to school just so they can eat because momma never comes home....and yes that really does happen...and it really happens here. I've seen it first hand. James 1:27 says "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world".

6 comments:

Carla Lewter said...

Awesome post Leslie!! One of my closest teacher friends and Ethan's first grade teacher adopted a little girl from Romania at age 5. She is now 14, but even just going through so much trauma for 5 years, still continues to impact her today. But she has an incredible family and she is a gifted violinist. That would have never happened if she was still in Romania.

In Him,
Carla

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog randomly and was interested mostly because I'm currently a missionary in Romania. I know what you mean about being drawn to this country. There are good and bad reasons for Romania no longer allowing international adoptions. One thing I wanted to let you know is that the orphanages are different now than they were fifteen years ago. Orphanages for children who aren't disabled are generally better than they were. Sadly, orphanages for children with severe disabilities are still pretty bad, but again, not quite as bad as they were (much of this is because of Romania joining the EU and just changing so rapidly now). You're right about what happens when kids from orphanages turn 18. Unless they manage to get into some sort of transition house (usually privately run), they often end up on the streets.

You're welcome to read my blog. I don't talk much about the orphanages (they're not my principal ministry here), but I do try to show a pretty objective picture of what it's like to live here.

Blessings and Peace!

Anonymous said...

I posted the last comment. For some reason, it puts up the wrong email address for me--I'm not robertgrig. My blog is http://bemis.wordpress.com.

Our Journey to Jillian said...

Sharon, I have no idea if you will be coming back to my blog or not...but is there an email address where I can talk to you privately?? I was so encouraged to hear that generally the orphanages are better....and would just like to ask you a few questions. Blessings, Leslie

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.