Thursday, November 8, 2007

This and that.....

The past 2 days have been relatively uneventful. Yesterday, (Wednesday Nov. 6th), Jillian had her first fussy day. We are learning that she was the princess of her house. She really, really knows what she wants, and expects it. It's been difficult for me to find the line between discipline and bonding. It is so painfully hard for me to let her cry, or tell her no, since she's only known me for 4 days now,but I know I have to. And today has been much better in that area. I think she needed to test her waters a little, and hopefully, that will stick for a day or two....or at least until we get home. Anyway, yesterday morning she woke up very clingy. She absolutely does not like our room. I'm not sure why, but when we get half way down the hall she starts crying. After having a wonderfully long conversation with my kiddos back home, we hit the road. We decided it would be best to get out as much as we could yesterday, so we headed down the streets to a local park. It was beautifu l!!!! A huge lake surrounded by lush greenery and a walkway filled with people doing Tai Chi, and playing music. The schedule here is evidently much more relaxed. Our guide told us today that at 3:00 in the afternoon, people get tired, and need to go home and take a nap. We got tickled at that. Jillian became quite fussy while we were there, and it was really hot, and she was in the hip hammock. We came back, ate lunch, and she crashed for the first time really. She took a great nap, and we then headed out Pizza Hut, and a quick run to Wal Mart for some more baby food. We tried her in a stroller for the first time, and she loved it!! Finally, my arms can get a rest!!! I was beginning to think I should have started lifting weights a month or two ago to get myself prepared!! She did very good, until we got back to the room. She finally gave up the fight, after crying for awhile and fell asleep.

This morning, we got up leisurely and headed to the zoo with our group. We rented a stroller from our hotel, and she again did fantastic. At the zoo for the first time since Gotcha Day, she wanted her Daddy. I think I took a million pictures wondering how long it would last. At one point, he even tried to put her back in the stroller, and she wouldn't have it!! I was SOO excited!!! I really think she is making strides with us. I can only imagine what is going through her mind. In China, when you have a foster family, they will take you from your foster family anywhere from a week to a month before you come to pick them up. They then go back to the orphanage that they left. I get so sad for her when I think of what all she's been through in the last few months. We also today got the picture packet that her orphanage gives the parents. When we got her, they gave us the wrong packet, so we had to wait to get them switched out. Looking through the pictures was quite emotional for me. There was a picture in there evidently from the day she was found. She was bundled up and tied with a blue string around her waist. It really broke my heart. I wonder what she will think one day when she sees it. I will have to do alot more reading to find out how to handle that.

She is napping right now. When she wakes up, we are going BACK to Wal Mart. I had gotten her a few little outfits that are miraculously too small. I didn't pack very many clothes for her, so I have to go get new ones. I'm tickled at her size. I brought 9 - 12 month onesies, and when I got her, I thought they would swallow her whole, but they fit just fine!!! She eats like a horse, so I can't imagine that she won't have gained weight by the time we get home!!!! She usually eats 2 eggs, 3 pieces of ham, a croissant, and some noodles for breakfast. Yes, all of that!!! And sometimes she'll eat a little bit of congee too. Then an hour or two later, she wants a bottle, and then about an hour later, she wants lunch. In between, she wants gerber puffs.

I'm posting quite a few pictures from the last day or two. I think they loaded a bit out of order, but that's ok. So, enjoy!!!

1 comments:

angie said...

i am so happy for you and your family. i love the picture of her feeding her daddy! i am glad to hear everything is going good. i am sooooo ready for you all to get home. i know your babies here are ready!
leslie, i love you and your family so much and you all have been a blessing to me and if there is anything i can do for you, please let me know. i am praying for you all and a safe trip home.
love angie miller