Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Today has been amazing!!!

Last night, we discovered that Jillian was totally addicted to tv. We couldn't figure out how to get her to sleep, so we finally just put it on the Chinese Opera channel. She sat on the bed, sucking her thumb, until she literally fell over asleep. Crazy girl!!! We got up this morning, and went down to the breakfast buffet. Again, 99% Chinese buffet at home food. Broccoli, congee, soup, eggs, etc. Jillian ate like a horse!! It quickly became a joke among several of the parents in our group how much she was actually eating. And attempting to feed herself. We then headed off to our civial affairs appointment where we got interviewed regarding our night with Jillian last night. After promising never to abandon or abuse Jillian, it was determined that we were qualified to become her parents. So, now it's official. We are Jillian's parents. They took our family picture, asked us to make sure everything on her certificate was correct, and then it was done. I could have cried the entire time, but nobody else was, so I desperately tried to hold back. The emotions were overwhelming. I remember when I first held Chandler in the hospital, and wondered how anybody could abandon or abuse such an innocent being. My heart was full then, just as it is now.

While we were waiting our turn in the civil affairs office, Jillian became quite the social butterfly. When it's just us, she won't even let me 2 feet from her without bursting our in tears. But, when we are with all the babies in our group, she is back to her old self apparently. She was crawling around, playing, making friends. I think if I had shoes that fit her, she would feel more comfortable walking. When I get to Guangzhou, we will stock up for sure.

We did get to talk to the head of her orphanage today, and did find out she was indeed in foster care since last November. Which is probably why she is so crazy attached to me now. And why she has had several bursts of crying for no apparent reason. She is evidently grieving her foster parents. Yesterday she would cry mama, and baba, and I couldn't figure out why if she had never had a mama and baba before. Now we know.

She is continuing to be very silly. She'll do something funny, and wait for my expression before she cracks herself up. This afternoon she started to take her diaper off, and when I told her no no, she looked up and then threw her head back laughing. Evidently she has played this game before!! LOL!!! I'm so happy that in the midst of her grief, she is certainly still finding lots of joy in her little life.

After we left the civil affairs office, we headed to Wal Mart, (a true Wal Mart), and grabbed McDonald's to go. I must say, I've never ever had a double cheeseburger before, but that was probably the best thing I've eaten in days. Not at all that the food has been bad, I just feel like I've eaten the same things over and over and over again. Broccoli and croissants for breakfast, and then lots and lots of rice the rest of the day. And I've enjoyed it very much. But change is good!!!!! Roy even branched out and got the filet of fish. He said it was EXACTLY like back home. We are so thankful to know that!!

We are now about to head out to the notary's office. I have no idea what we are really even doing there, I just know exactly how much money I'm supposed to be taking!! After that, I imagine we'll grab dinner, and then head back to the room for bed. Pray that we can figure out how to get Jillian to sleep. I don't know what we'll do when we get home with no Chinese Opera available. And I'm really not sure how much Chinese opera Roy and I can take!!!! LOL!!

Here's some pics from the day (Jillian is in pink).




1 comments:

Marcee said...

It seems things are going pretty smoothly. I'm so glad to hear it. I must say that I am totally intrigued by this whole process and most of all by Jillian. I cannot wait to meet her! Praying you continue to have a memorable and safe journey.
Love,
Marcee