Monday, September 8, 2008

A Century of Living

I have for some time wanted to go into nursing homes, and interview some people that have lived their lives. I've wanted to know what their regrets were. I so desperately want to learn from them. I remember when I was wanting to get pregnant with Collin, I would think of how hard that newborn stage was. And how I wasn't just really sure I wanted to go through that all over again. Then in the back of my mind, I would remember how fast that stage went. One day, you give birth, and the next day.... they start kindergarten. I did NOT want to get to the age of 45 and wish that I had more children. And then a few older people told me how they really wished they had had 1 more child. That it just seemed so hard in the midst of raising young children, but then, how truly fast time goes....and then they are gone and out of the house. So it became official...I wanted that 3rd child. Ok, just for fairness sake..then I wanted that 4th child...but ONLY if I could adopt. But that's beside the point. The whole round about thought process of all that is this: I saw a movie this morning called "A Century of Living". It was an unbelieveably fascinating, moving, and eye opening experience to watch. Times have changed so much over the last 150 years...and I just can't say it's all been for the better. Obviously, some conveniences we couldn't live without. But these people spoke differently, lived differently, loved differently, and worked differently than we do. They had baking days, and washing days, and shopping days. To wash was an all day experience. I think most of us know that already about pioneer days, but to see actual interviews with people who lived it, was so great for me. By no means am I saying I want to go back to those days, but I do so desperately wish some of those values would come back. The loyalty to family, to country, and to God were clear in every single one of those interviews. Women stayed home with the kids, and the husband worked. And took pride in the fact that his wife didn't have to work. Why is it so different now?? It seems that most men now, totally expect their wives to work...and our society puts women down that want to "just stay home". I think that's what I see in those Andy Griffith episodes. Modern day living...with those same values. Why can't we have it all now? What possibly can we do to get back there? Or is it even possible?

I know this post has nothing to do with my journey with jillian...or anything about my family. But I think it is an important thing to remember how far we've come. I lose sight of the great many blessings we have been given. None of us have had to live through the great depression, or the dust bowl. Most of us won't have children that die of a cold because there was no doctor in our town, and it turned to pneumonia. Most of us, (ok I can pretty much say all here) won't have to jump train cars to get a ride somewhere, and steal 3 rolls to tide us over for the day. It's just crazy what these people went through. A couple of them weren't able to have children, and talked about the grief they experienced from that. But then went on to talk about how life will deal you some blows, and you move on....because that's life. So inspiring! I was absolutely glued to this movie....and I'm trying to figure out where to buy it. I want to watch it again, and I want my children to watch it....and maybe we can all learn something from it.

0 comments: